Recently FamilyTreeDNA has been cooperating with law enforcement in a limited capacity. Much of the genealogy community has been surprised and upset by this news. The Legal Genealogist Judy Russell has written a number of blog posts about this topic:
- Opening the DNA floodgates 1 Feb 2019
- One little change 3 Feb 2019
- A Letter from Bennett Greenspan 3 Feb 2019
- The logical fallacy 4 Feb 2019
- Looking at the alternatives 10 Feb 2019
FamilyTreeDNA now has a page dedicated to how law enforcement may use their information. It is good for us who use their service to understand how it may be used. The FamilyTreeDNA Law Enforcement Guide.