This week I hunted around on the internet and discovered how to embed a PDF file in WordPress without using a special plugin to do it. You can see how it turns out here. This method will work with other file types like Word documents as well. Here’s how I did it.
First, set up an account with Google if you don’t already have one.
- Go to Google.com.
- Select the Sign in button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select More options and then Create account.
- Set up your username and password.
Add the PDF to Google Docs.
- Go to Google Docs.
- In the Recent Documents area select the dark file folder, the Open file picker.
- In Open a file select Upload and Select a file from your computer.
- The file with upload and open.
Select Embed for the PDF.
- With the file open, select the three vertical dots and then Embed item…
- Select the text under Paste HTML to embed in website: and copy.
- Select the OK button.
Add the embed text to your WordPress post.
- In the WordPress post, select the HTML tab right below the post title.
- Select where in the post to put the embedded file. (Don’t get intimidated by the angled brackets; those are just formatting instructions.)
- Paste the embed text you copied from Google Docs.
I have to thank two sites in particular for their assistance in figuring this out.
- Embed pdf Document to Your WordPress Blog Without Plugin by Onenaija
- The Complete Guide to Embed Almost Anything in Your WordPress Site by Optimizer WP
1 thought on “How to Add an Embedded PDF in WordPress Without a Plugin”
Thanks a lot! 🙂
Your article is very helpful and thanks to your instructions I succeeded in embedding a PDF to my blog too.
Greetings from Bulgaria!